<< Table of Contents
Starting an Assessment
- Initiate an assessment by choosing a student from Classes or All My Students in the Dashboard.
- Choose "New Assessment"
- Select Assessment Type:
- Test student now (dual devices): choose this option to start a test with another device. This will generate an assessment token that must be entered into the student's device. Make sure a student is ready to enter this token before you read it to them. Teachers may enter token for student to expedite process.
- Test student now (single device): choose this option to automatically activate the session. This option is for teachers who only have one device and wish to print out student copies. Make sure you have a printed copy for the student to read.
- Self assessment: creates a test that a student can take on their own, at home, or at school. Self assessments can occur as long as a student has a web enabled device. For recording assessment, students should download Android or iPad app (coming soon). Self assessments, once uploaded, can be listened to and graded by teachers, parents, or students.
- Select a Passage: Choose from My Passages (passages you added) or Installed Passages (passages from the Library).
- Select a Timer option:
- One minute countdown: descending timer that stops the test after one minute
- Stopwatch: ascending timer stops when teachers taps on stop
- Stopwatch (3-min. time limit): similar to a stopwatch, with a three minute limit
- Depending on the passage, a list of comprehension questions may appear after you select a passage. Check the box next to the question(s) to include in this assessment.
- Select "Create Assessment"
If the test is set for two devices, evaluator will receive a code. A code, or token is required for a student to sync and authenticate the session with another device. If you are testing a student, simply key in the assessment token into the appropriate field when prompted to release test.
Use this token to pair student's device to same passage
Enter assessment token on student's device and click Connect.
Once the student successfully syncs their device, the other device that initiated the assessment will show the Evaluation Screen.
Evaluating a student
Please read the "Scoring Miscues" document for more information on error analysis.
IMPORTANT: inform the student that they are about to take a reading assessment. Tell them that they should not hurry, nor spend too much time on any one word. If they skip a line you will direct them to the correct line, and if they need help decoding, you may or may not provide it (depending on your assessment practices you are adhering to). You may introduce the passage if you'd like.
- When student is ready press Start.
- Tap on each miscue: As the student reads aloud touch the word that they miscue. The word tapped on will be highlighted and a pop up menu allows evaluator to record the type of miscue. A list of miscues will appear on the right side. For more on choosing miscues, see "Scoring Miscues" document.
Note: The student's screen will not change or be able to see what you mark on your screen.
- Stop: a teacher can pause an assessment and resume, or stop at anytime. If using the three-minute stop watch or the one-minute timer, the assessment will stop automatically after the specified amount of time has passed.
- Choose last word: When time is up, a window will appear prompting you to choose the last word read. Touch the last word and press "Save" to proceed to saving assessment. If a student finishes the assessment before the time is up, press "Save", which will prompt you choose the last word they read, in this case the very last word of the text.
- Options: Select the options menu to change font size and line number display on evaluation screen.
- Comprehension: If comprehension questions are available and were previously selected, they will appear underneath the text. Enter student response in the "Response" field (optional). It is up to the evaluator to decide if the student has answered each question correctly. Take into account the completeness of the response, the number of facts retold, and the use of direct vocabulary or language from the text to determine if a student has answered correctly or not.
- Save: When test is complete, the last word chosen, and comprehension questions (if applicable) are answered, press Save to save the assessment. Read With Me will automatically score the passage, saves the miscue information, and generate a report.